It is extremely painful to see your pet in pain. Am I right? Seeing them limp is one of those things that is just so hard to watch. We love them unconditionally and it’s crazy how we can feel the pain they feel.
Arthritis and joint pain are unfortunately common issues as pets get older. What are the causes? What are the symptoms? Can CBD be of any help in the treatment? Read on to learn more about how you can ease the pain of your pet as they age.
Causes of Arthritis
According to Josie F. Turner, an animal welfare journalist, writes about the common causes:
- Age – from the age of 8 on, it is normal for your pet’s joints and bones to begin to wear out, causing arthritis
- Obesity – being overweight causes more pressure on the joints, causing them to support more than they are designed to
- Genetics – some breeds, like the German Shepherd and related breeds, are more likely to be diagnosed
- Large breeds – similarly, the larger the breed, the greater likelihood they are to experience joint pain
- Joint surgery – if your pet has had joint surgery sometime in their lives, they are also more likely to develop arthritis
Symptoms of Arthritis
PetMD highlights several common symptoms of pet arthritis:
- Muscle atrophy
- Licking, chewing, biting the painful areas
- Losing energy
- Joints are swollen/warm
- Spinal issues
- Difficulty moving
I know, this article is breaking your heart like it is mine. I have a 2-year-old German Shepherd and thinking of him with arthritis is almost too much to bear But keep with me.
Cannabidiol, or CBD oil, is commonly used to treat joint pain because it is a natural anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. Just the thing your pet needs!
Consider talking with your trusted veterinarian to see if incorporating CBD into your pet’s arthritis treatment plan is the right step for you today.